Pages

Friday, December 17, 2010

Nearing the End

We have nothing but tests next week for our students. Two teen classes insist on being allowed to "work together", i.e. cheat. They've insisted I get information about the test for them ahead of time to "prepare" for what's to come. And, the kicker; "Our teachers before have always let us work together and talk." I know I don't look that old, but I'm really older than having been born yesterday! Teenagers make me want to shudder, cringe, cry and scream for our future. I'm not being dramatic in the least!

Aiden and I begin to clean out our apartment today. It's amazing how much stuff accumulates after only four months. We had only purchased the necessary-iron, broom, fan, etc., and we'll leave it behind for the landlord's future tenants. The hardest thing to pack or leave are our books. They become like friends. We read their stories here and if we bring them home, they'll always be our tie to Montenegro (along with the hundreds of pics we have...).

Another apartment to clean, another move. I've done this how many times before? And how many more in the future? People think that this is difficult-to pack up and move across the world to a virtually unknown living/working situation, but what really terrifies me is the thought of moving back to California with permanence, buying a house, having kids and "settling down". I feel as though I've been in transit since high school, or at least my mind was... This was my dream even then. Move. Explore. Venture. Move again. I've got Aiden, something I couldn't fathom back in high school, but I feel as though we're invincible and that there's nothing we can't do and nowhere we can't go. Thank you to you, our loved ones, for being supportive, loving, and patient while we trek around the world. We hope to inspire others to take up the journey and meet us sometime, somewhere. Perhaps permanence is overrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment